The Importance of Self-Care (And Ways to Practice It!)
Did you know that women are statistically more likely to feel stressed on a higher level than men are? Over this past year especially, people everywhere have been dealing with a great load of stress and while it may be easier said than done, self-care can have a huge impact on that. Today, we’re breaking down why self-care is so important and easy ways that you can practice it at home!
Why self-care is important?
Self-care is a term that’s thrown around a lot (especially on social media) but the concept of it is quite simple—self-care can be used to describe any activity that is meant to benefit your mental, physical, or emotional health. These activities can be as simple as taking your vitamins regularly to having the occasional spa day to getting 8 hours of sleep every night. And while the term self-care may be a simple concept, actually putting it into practice is another ballgame.
In 2021, self-care has never been more important but according to studies, 64% of Americans say that they don’t have the time to take care of themselves. This is a huge problem. The act of self-care allows you to be healthy in the most important relationship you’ll ever have—the one with yourself. So not only will you feel good about yourself, but you’ll also be able to transfer that emotional acceptance and well-being onto others around you.
But self-care isn’t just about your mental and emotional health, it also plays a large part in the health of your body! Stress takes a HUGE toll on the body and can lead to serious issues such as depression, insomnia, high blood pressure, a weakened immune system (which, hello! We definitely need a strong immune system right now), fertility problems, weight gain/loss, and more! Regularly practicing acts of self-care triggers a relaxation response in your nervous system which can prevent chronic stress from damaging your physical and mental health. In addition to this, many acts of self-care can also help improve our appearance and you know what they say—when you look good, you feel good (or is it the other way around?) Either way, self-care is crucial to improving the way you feel inside and the way you look outside!
How to practice self-care
For many people, self-care starts with simple acts done on a regular basis. Most of these activities won’t take up too much of your time but in the end, your body and mind will thank you for it. Trust us. If you need some simple ideas to get your self-care journey started, we’ve got you covered.
- Put down the phone and pick up a book. In this day and age, it’s hard to disconnect from the screen, we get it. But scrolling through social media for hours or reading the news can cause excess stress and even change our perception of ourselves! Instead of mindlessly scrolling for hours to pass the time, try picking up a book or start a new book series! Reading is a total act of self-care because it actually reduces stress, boosts self-esteem, and improves memory.
- Have a spa night at home! While going to the spa is the perfect self-care activity, we don’t always have the time or money to do it. So why not have ourselves a spa night from the comfort of our own home? And we all know the best at-home spa nights start with a nice bath! The Hazel Gem Bath Salt Soak is the perfect addition to any bath routine because it’s made with essential oils and lavender to relax both the body and mind. Don’t forget to apply a hair mask and read a book while you relax in the tub. We love following up a good soak with our Radiant Body Sea Salt Scrub which is formulated to remove dead skin cells to reveal soft, supple skin. Then, finish off your spa night with an at-home pedicure or manicure and make sure to pair it with the best part—a good glass of wine!
- Exercise regularly. When people think of exercising, they usually only think of the physical results it will have on their outward appearance, but did you know that working out regularly has a huge impact on our mental well-being and can even help with symptoms of depression, stress, anxiety, and more? Make sure to get moving on a regular basis even if that just means a ten-minute walk around the block or a quick yoga flow. Both your body and your mind with thank you for it!
- Light a candle. Research has found that certain scents boost our mood and reduce stress levels. Try lighting a candle (even if you’re just working for the day or lounging on the couch) to instantly lift your mood. We love our Soy Candles because they’re non-toxic, last longer than traditional paraffin wax, and smell amazing!
- Make sleep a priority. Not getting enough sleep can lead to all sorts of problems like mood changes, high blood pressure, and more. Make sure you’re getting at least 7 hours of sleep per night to wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world!
- Connect with loved ones. It’s been a challenge for all of us to talk with our loved ones over the past year but it’s so important to our mental well-being because we’re typically the best version of ourselves when we’re with the people we love. Self-care doesn’t only mean spending time by ourselves, but also those who love us!
- Celebrate yourselfdaily! Many of us have gotten into the habit of only celebrating ourselves for big milestones such as birthdays and graduations but we’re here to tell you that you should be celebrating yourself daily for the little things! Every day that you get up and do what needs to be done (even if that’s just having a movie marathon or finishing a good book) is cause for celebration. It’s important to remember that not every day is going to bring a huge change but those little wins in life are just as important.
With all of this being said, the most important part of self-care is to realize that no two self-care routines are the same and happiness looks different for everyone! Do what makes you happy because there will never be a right or wrong way to practice self-care—especially if the end result is happiness and self-love.