How to Build the Perfect Skincare Routine
When it comes to finding the right skincare products and crafting the perfect daily routine, it can be super intimidating. We get it! Today, we’re breaking down everything you need to know about the different skin types and all of the steps you should be taking in your skincare routine!
Let’s talk skin types
Before diving into the routine, let’s first talk skin types and how your skin type can affect your routine and the products you use. There are five main types of skin: normal, sensitive, dry, oily, and combination. Here’s how to figure out what type of skin you have:
- Normal skin is well, exactly like it sounds, normal! It’s neither dry nor oily and isn’t highly textured. If you don’t deal with dehydration of the skin or you’re not noticing frequent breakouts, that’s a telltale sign that you have normal skin. If you’ve been blessed with normal skin, you don’t have to have a super detailed skincare routine because you have nothing to treat! Keep it simple by using a cleanser, moisturizer, and SPF to properly clean and hydrate the skin without overloading it on products you don’t need.
- If you have sensitive skin, you’ve probably dealt with reactions to certain products or even UV rays from the sun. These reactions can cause redness, itching, tightness, and evensmall bumps on the skin. The reason for this is that sensitive skin loses its outer barrier (which helps to fend off bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens) easily which leaves it open to irritation. Sensitive skin is also usually prone to increased dryness which can cause redness and dry, rough patches on the skin. We recommend using a gentle cleanser, serum, moisturizer, facial oil, and SPF if you have sensitive skin to keep it hydrated and protected.
- If you have dry skin, you may notice that your skin feels tight, and your texture is rough. You may also deal with dry patches on your face. The reasons for dry skin vary but many of it is caused by external factors like low humidity, cold wind, a lack of water intake, and more. With this being said, some people deal with dry skin all of their life no matter what climate they’re in and that’s where a good skincare routine comes in. You’ll want to use an oil-based cleanser, a moisturizing toner, eye cream, a moisturizer, facial oil, and a SPF. You also want to up your water intake and look into getting a humidifier if you live in a dry climate.
- Getting shiny or greasy throughout the day is usually a good indicator that you have oily skin. Excess oil on the skin is caused by an overload of fat production in your sebaceous glands. This excess oil usually causes acne and breakouts for many people. Those with oily skin should be using a cleanser targeted for acne, an exfoliating toner, a lightweight moisturizer, and SPF. When you’re shopping for new products, try and stay away from anything that is oil-based as this can just add to the shine throughout the day.
- People with combination skin deal with a mix of oily and dry skin. Typically, those with combination skin see excess oil on their t-zone which may cause breakouts, but the rest of their face may feel tight or dry. If you have combination skin, make sure to start out with a gentle cleanser, the follow it up with an exfoliator, serum, eye cream, moisturizer, and SPF. You may need to invest in a few products to target the different skin concerns you have.
Skincare routine steps
Now that we’ve gotten the skin type talk out of the way, let’s dive into the different skincare routine steps and how to use each product!
Having a good cleanser is the most important step in your skincare routine because it removes leftover makeup, dirt, pollution, sweat, oil, and more from the skin. This helps to prevent breakouts and irritation no matter what skin type you have. Here at Hazel Gem, we offer three cleansers to target the different skin concerns people may have.
For those with oily skin, you’re going to love our African Black Soap Foaming Face Cleanser. It’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory to help fight acne while also providing a deep clean. Our Glow Even Tone Face Cleanseris great for those who have combination skin because it brightens the skin, reduces acne and scars, and leaves the face feeling clean without stripping it. Lastly, the Hazel Gem Rose Water Face Cleanseris the perfect step in anyone’s routine because it gently cleanses by removing dirt, excess oil, and makeup but it won’t leave the skin feeling dry.
To use a cleanser, make sure to thoroughly wet your skin and hands first with lukewarm water as hot water can strip the skin. And don’t forget to wash your hands first before touching your face! Apply the cleanser in circular motions like a massage for your face. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry. We recommend cleansing in the morning and before bed at night.
Toners are meant to remove any last trace of dirt and oil from the skin while also providing other skin benefits such as hydration or pore tightening. Our Hydrating Rose Water Toneris made for all skin types to hydrate and balance skin while also removing anything left on the skin. We also offer our Organic Peppermint Tonerfor oily skin types to balance skin and tighten pores.
You’ll want to tone your skin after cleansing but before applying any other products. Simply apply toner on a cotton round and swipe it over your face and neck. If you have normal or oily skin, you can use toner morning and night but if you’re dry or sensitive, only use it once a day.
The purpose of serums is really dependent on your skin needs. Some brighten the skin, some reduce acne, some hydrate the skin, and more! Always keep your skin concerns in mind while shopping for a serum.
To use a serum, simply apply a few drops to clean hands and gently pat it into your skin. Depending on the type of serum, you can use it every day or every other day.
- Eye cream
The eye area is the most delicate and sensitive part of your face because the skin is thinner there. Any skin type can benefit from an eye cream to hydrate the area and reduce fine lines and/or dark circles.
We recommend using an eye cream daily after applying your serum. To use eye cream, apply a bit on your ring finger (because it has the gentlest pressure!) and lightly tap it under your eyes and on your eyelids.
Contrary to popular belief, all skin types should be using a moisturizer in their routine! There are many different moisturizers on the market ranging from super lightweight for oily skin to heavy duty hydration for dry skin.
Moisturizers should be used after serums and eye creams and can be applied all over the face and neck. We recommend using a moisturizer each time you cleanse your face, so your skin doesn’t feel dried out.
- Face oil
Face oils are such an important step in your skincare routine (especially if you have dry or combo skin) because they help lock in all of that moisture you just applied! We offer several face oils to target different skin types and needs. Our Rosehip Infused Facial Oilhelps with anti-aging, hydration, and dark spots. Our Bloom Botanical Facial Oilis great for aging skin because it’s rich in antioxidants and treats fine lines and wrinkles. Lastly, the Hazel Gem Carrot Infused Nourishing Facial Oilnot only hydrates the skin, but it also helps protect the skin from harmful UV rays.
To use a facial oil, apply a few drops to clean hands and gently rub it into the skin.
Last but certainly not least should be some form of sunscreen or SPF! UV rays can wreak havoc on all skin types to cause dryness, redness, peeling, and even skin cancer. Make sure you’re using SPF as your last skincare step every single day to keep your skin looking hydrated and prevent wrinkles down the line.